Sunday, July 30, 2006, 9:22 PM // 2 comments
Friday, July 28, 2006, 9:17 PM // 1 comments
Wednesday, July 26, 2006, 10:59 PM // 1 comments
Tuesday, July 25, 2006, 6:51 AM // 1 comments
U2: A YouTube Video History
U2 VideosCheck out http://www.earvolution.com/2006/07/u2-youtube-video-history-including.asp. This guy posted about thirty U2 videos spanning their entire career including their performance of "Bad" at Live Aid.
Friday, July 21, 2006, 6:50 AM // 0 comments
Songs About Summer
WSUN - A Soundtrack for a Summer DayThe folllow represents my soundtrack for a summer day. If you're looking for some summer song suggestions here you go. Keep cool.
1. Aquarius-Let The Sunshine In - 5th Dimension
2. Stoned Soul Picnic - 5th Dimension
3. School's Out - Alice Cooper
4. Summer (G minor) Presto - Antonio Vivaldi
5. The Boys Of Summer - Ataris
6. Seagull - Bad Company
7. Cruel Summer - Banarama
8. I Get Around - Beach Boys
9. Kokomo - Beach Boys
10. Surfin' USA - Beach Boys
11. Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
12. Heroes and Villains - Beach Boys
13. California Girls - Beach Boys
14. Summertime - Beyonce
15. Lovely Day - Bill Withers
16. The Tide Is High - Blondie
17. Summertime Blues - Blue Cheer
18. Get Up, Stand Up - Bob Marley
19. Stir It Up - Bob Marley
20. Buffalo Soldier - Bob Marley
21. Jammin' - Bob Marley
22. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
23. Sun Is Shining - Bob Marley
24. Montego Bay - Bobby Bloom
25. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) - Bruce Springsteen
26. Summer Of 69 - Bryan Adams
27. Saturday in the Park - Chicago
28. Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart
29. One Summer Night - Danleers
30. Here Comes Summer - Dave Clark Five
31. Cocount Grove - David Lee Roth
32. Twistin' By The Pool - Dire Straits
33. Under the Boardwalk - Drifters
34. Ice Cream Song - Dynamics
35. Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
36. Summertime - Ella and Louie
37. Twilight - Fats Waller
38. It's Summertime - Flaming Lips
39. American Life in the Summertime - Francis Dunnery
40. The Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra
41. Summertime - Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff
42. Vacation - Go Go's
43. Sunshine In A Bag - Gorillaz
44. Summer Lovin' - Grease
45. In The Summertime - Herbie Man
46. Summertime - Janis Joplin
47. Long Hot Summer Night - Jimi Hendrix
48. Why Don't We Get Drunk - Jimmy Buffett
49. Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
50. Come Monday - Jimmy Buffett
51. Cheeseburger In Paradise - Jimmy Buffett
52. Boat Drinks - Jimmy Buffett
53. The Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff
54. Ice Cream Man - John Brim
55. Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian - John Prine
56. I'm Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & the Waves
57. Summer Fling - kd lang
58. Summertime - Kenny Chesney
59. Sunny Afternoon - Kinks
60. Down By The Seaside - Led Zeppelin
61. Steal My Sunshine - Len
62. Holiday Road - Lindsey Buckingham
63. Johnny Sunshine - Liz Phair
64. Lazy River - Louis Armstrong
65. Fireworks - Louis Armstrong
66. Summer in the City - Lovin' Spoonful
67. Heatwave - Martha & The Vandellas
68. Dancing In The Streets - Martha and the Vandellas
69. In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
70. Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy days of Summer - Nat King Cole
71. Summertime - Nick Drake
72. Walk And Don't Look Back - Peter Tosh
73. Happy Summertime - R. Kelly
74. You Are My Sunshine - Ray Charles
75. Summertime - Sam Cooke
76. Summertime - Santo & Johnny
77. Ice Cream - Sarah McLachlan
78. Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts
79. Soak Up the Sun - Sheryl Crow
80. Hot Fun in the Summertime - Sly & the Family Stone
81. Cruisin' - Smokey Robinson
82. Cool Places - Sparks
83. Tonight You Belong To Me - Steve Martin
84. Summertime - Sublime
85. Summertime - Sundays
86. Wipe Out - Surfaris
87. Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks
88. Ice Cream Man - Tom Waits
89. Pressure Drop - Toots & the Maytals
90. Funky Kingston - Toots & the Maytals
91. Summer Nights - Van Halen
92. Dancing In The Streets - Van Halen
93. Ice Cream Man - Van Halen
94. Hawaii Five-O - Ventures
95. Summer - War
96. Summertime Blues - Who
97. Sea and Sand - Who
98. Sunshine - World Party
99. Ice Cream - Wu-Tang Clan
100. Cheap Sunglasses - ZZ Top
Listen / Download:
Ella and Louie - Summertime
Tuesday, July 18, 2006, 7:19 AM // 1 comments
John Zorn's Spillane
Mickey Spillane Dead at 88When I heard famed crime novelist Mickey Spillane died I immediately thought of a piece of music by John Zorn titled Spillane.
How does one descibe Spillane? Well, if someone made a movie based on Mickey Spillane's books, and then condensed that movie down to a twenty-five minute trailer, the audio track would sound like Spillane.
Spillane begins with a woman's scream that segues into a light jazz number. From there, the music shifts and flows from one section to another: spoken passages, brief catches of atmospheric sound, musical interludes, sound effects, etc. It's a sequence of audible references to women, booze, gun play, smoky nightclubs, and chain smoking men. There are sixty sections in twenty-five minutes, each seamlessly connected to the next.
If you have some time today sit back, pour yourself a shot, light up a Lucky and enjoy Spillane.
Listen / Download:
Spillane - John Zorn
Labels: mp3 download
Monday, July 17, 2006, 10:27 AM // 2 comments
Wednesday, July 12, 2006, 7:25 AM // 0 comments
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett Dies at 60Syd Barrett, the former lead singer, guitarist and songwriter of Pink Floyd, has died at the age of 60.
Syd died peacefully at his home in Cambridge after suffering from complications related to diabetes.
I personally was never much of a Syd or early Pink Floyd fan. Syd's music, along with the first few Floyd albums, is a little too trippy for me -- not really my cup of Magic Mushroom tea. My real passion for the Floyd, as with many fans, starts with the 1971 release, Meddle. Syd was long gone by then -- from the band and from reality. Syd, of course, was the king of rock and roll causalities. Syd, like the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson and the Rolling Stones' Brian Jones, took shovelful of drugs that ultimately fried his brain and his genius.
Whatever my opinion may be about Syd's music I cannot deny that fact that his overall contribution to rock and roll is immeasurable. He founded one of the most influential rock bands of all time and invented the British psychedelic movement.
The following is an extract from UK trade paper Music Week's daily news page:
Pink Floyd founding member Syd Barrett has died at his Cambridgeshire home from what is believed to be complications from diabetes. The 60-year-old, who suffered a breakdown in the Sixties following his use of LSD, had been a virtual recluse for more than three decades after completely withdrawing from the public spotlight in the early Seventies. He passed away last Friday, although news of his death has today only been announced.
Pink Floyd issued a statement saying, "The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death. Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire".
Barrett penned their first two hit singles, Arnold Layne (which reached number 20 in the UK) and See Emily Play (a UK number six), while their first album The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn followed later in 1967. However, their third single Apples And Oranges reflected Barrett's worsening mental state. David Gilmour joined the line-up in February 1968, giving rise to suggestions [that] Barrett would follow the example of Brian Wilson and stop touring with the band to concentrate on his songwriting. Instead, his departure from the band was announced the following April. The last Floyd album he appeared on was their second set, A Saucerful Of Secrets, released in July 1968.
Work then started on his first solo album, The Madcap Laughs, which made it to number 40 in the UK chart in February 1970. A second album, Barrett, followed, but an attempt to return to recording in 1974 ended in failure.
Despite being a recluse since the mid-Seventies, Barrett remained an inspirational figure to many musicians. His legacy was felt in recent solo gigs this year by David Gilmour who in one concert at London's Royal Albert Hall performed Barrett's Arnold Layne with David Bowie during the encore.
Listen / Download:
Astronomy Domine - Pink Floyd
Bike - Pink Floyd
Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 11:14 PM // 2 comments
Monday, July 10, 2006, 3:48 PM // 6 comments
Eunice Kennedy Shriver Turns 85
A Brush With A KennedyA few years back, while living in Washington DC, I had the opportunity to view an advance screening of Terminator II. The movie was screened at The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) Washington office. In all about ten of us watched the movie including JFK's sister, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, who elected to sit directly behind me. I wished she had sat somewhere else because throughout the entire movie -- beginning to end -- she did nothing but talk and kick my chair. What a bitch. This was actually my second brush with a Kennedy.
My first brush with a Kennedy happened when I went to the big Washington DC ball and met the entire Shriver family including Eunice and her husband, Sgt. Shriver, Maria and her brothers, and Mr. Arnold Schwarzenegger Shriver Kennedy. Finally, my third brush with a Kennedy occurred when I visited John-John's TriBeCa flat the day after he was killed. Obviously, I didn't meet him but nonetheless it was a brush with a Kennedy...once removed.
Given the size of the family I'll bet there are many people who have had a brush with a Kennedy Klan member. If you have one please submit it.