Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 9:02 PM // 0 comments

The Who - September 12, 2006

Philadelphia, PA, Wachovia Center

A few comments about last night’s Who concert:
  • Townshend is still a rock God. At one point he had his arms and legs extended out just like he does on Isle of Wight’s Young Man Blues. His playing is still top notch.

  • I felt that Daltrey’s voice sounded great. This may be because it was the first night of the tour. I may see them again Nov. I’ll bet the voice will be much different then.

  • I believed they played three too many new songs. Black Widow Eyes, Fragments, and Real Good Looking Boy did not do anything for me. Man in the Purple Dress was good. Wire and Glass works much better live. And the last song, Tea And Theatre, was a nice way to end the show – just Roger and Pete. I believe that song closes out the new album too.

  • I really missed John. Not so much his playing (Pino Palladino’s plays very much like John) but his presence. I missed the 5:15 solo and (depending on the show) Borris, My Wife, or Trick of the Light. I missed his backing vocals and his microphone stand with the liquid containers on either side. John Entwistle RIP.

  • Except for one of the snippets in Wire and Glass we were not treated to a Townshend vocal performance. Even though it’s been played to death I never get bored with his acoustic Drowned. That said, he had been performing Let’s See Action on the European tour. That would have been cool to hear live.

  • Highlights: Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, You Better You Bet, and My Generation into Cry If You Want. Great stuff.

  • All in all I was really entertained. They really pulled it off. And the addition of the new material gave them credibility as a band and not some oldies review like they were previous tours including the 1989 tour.
Setlist
  1. I Can't Explain
  2. The Seeker
  3. Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
  4. Baba O'Riley
  5. Behind Blue Eyes
  6. Real Good Looking Boy
  7. Wire and Glass
  8. Relay
  9. You Better You Bet
  10. Who Are You
  11. Man In The Purple Dress
  12. Black Widow Eyes
  13. Fragments
  14. My Generation/Cry If You Want
  15. Won't Get Fooled Again
  16. Substitute
  17. Pinball Wizard
  18. Amazing Journey/Sparks
  19. See Me Feel Me
  20. Tea And Theatre

The Who - September 12, 2006 - altobelli
The Who - September 12, 2006 - altobelli
The Who - September 12, 2006 - altobelli
The Who - September 12, 2006 - altobelli
The Who - September 12, 2006 - altobelli
Listen / Download:
Dan DeLuca reviews the Who show

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Paul Altobelli

Paul Altobelli is a veteran Internet, marketing and technology professional with considerable expertise in search engine marketing, web site development, design, implementation and project management. [more]

Flickr Photos