GaryTheScubaGuy's SEO Checklist
Metatags and on-page Optimization
- Are the keywords in the title with a 1-word buffer (Max - 1 keyword phrase)
- Are Keywords in
METAkeywords? It’s not necessary for Google, but a good habit. Keep the METAkeywords short (128 characters max, or 10).
- Are Keywords in
METAdescription? Keep keyword close to the left but in a full sentence.
- Are Keywords in the top portion of the page in first sentence of first full bodied paragraph (plain text: no bold, no italic, no style).
- Are Keywords in an H2-H4 heading
- Are Keywords in bold – second paragraph if possible and anywhere but the first usage on page.
- Are Keywords in italic – anywhere but the first usage?
- Are Keywords in subscript/superscript?
- Are Keywords in URL (directory name, filename, or domain name). Do not duplicate the keyword in the URL.
- Are Keywords in an image filename used on the page?
- Are Keywords in ALT tag of that previous image mentioned?
- Are Keywords in the title attribute of that image?
- Are Keywords in link text to another site?
- Are Keywords in an internal link’s text?
- Are Keywords in title attribute of all links targeted in and out of page?
- Are Keywords in an inbound link on site (preferably from your home page).
- Are Keywords in an inbound link from offsite (if possible).
- Are Keywords in an html comment tag?
- What is the code-to-text ratio? (text should be at minimum higher than the code)
- What is the page size?
- How long does it take to load the page?
- On each page, is the top keyword density on each page between 3-7%?
- Are their any redirects? If so do not use 401. 301 redirect is the preferred SEO standard.
- Is the page W3C Compliant?
- Is their any duplicate content out on the web?
- Is the site in the top 10 directories?
- Is a spider seeing all of the site content?
- Are there at least 250 words in the content?
- Is the keyword density for each kw on each page between 3-7%?
- Alternative navigation on flash or frames?
- Xml and html sitemap?
- Are their any broken links?
- Is there a robots.txt file?
- Browser Compatibility (IE, Netscape, Opera, Firefox, Mosaic and Safari)
- Does the page have rss feeds for fresh on-page content?
- Does the site have an SEO optimized 404 page?
- PDF optimized docs in root file with a navigation page listing each doc description and link. Also a separate xml sitemap for these and separate submission.