Thursday, January 17, 2008, 8:38 PM // 4 comments

Musicians I’m Supposed To Like But I Don’t and I Kinda Feel Badly About It But Not Really List

In no particular order...
  • Miles Davis - Kind of Blue? More like Kind of Blows.

  • Janis Joplin - I'll listen to "Turtle Blues" and "Summertime." Everything else makes me want to overdose on heroin.

  • REM - Shiny Happy Bullshit if you ask me.

  • Live Led Zeppelin - A 25 minute guitar solo followed be a 25 minute drum solo followed by a 25 minute mellotron solo. Musical masturbation at its very best.

  • Billie Holiday - Every time I hear her sing I'm compelled to eat strange fruit.

  • Garth Brooks - I've said it before and I'll say it again: Guys wearing really big hats cannot be taken seriously.

  • Solo John Lennon - The majority of the "serious Beatle's" solo work was seriously boring.

  • Bob Marley - Somebody please tell me what type of ganja to smoke because I just don't understand the fascination with his music.

  • The Jam - My disdain for this band harks back to my friendship with Tom Hartman. Whatever Tom liked I hated just to piss him off. That said, I can't listen to this band without thinking of my hatred for "Tom" music.

  • About 95% of all the music recorded in the 1980's - Come on, I know I'm not alone with this one.
Special thanks to Beth Mann for the blog inspiration and title. Thanks Mann.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blows - altobelli

Labels: ,


4 Comments:

Blogger weave said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:08 PM  
Blogger weave said...

Too bad you can't edit old posts...

Just came into a new MP3 player and I was loading it up and had much the same thought. There is much music that I just don't get.

Jazz
Bluegrass with drums
Solo Lennon
Solo Ringo
Grateful Dead (I like a few tunes - the poppy ones)
Phish
Iggy
Lou Reed

This is just a few off the top of the head. I throw the caveat that occasionally I can groove to some of the things I don't get into - they play Friday Night 80's on a local station here, and I find that the change is fun, BUT I do not listen to the stuff on a regular basis.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from Spain!

Hi Paul,
I stumbled across your website on a random googling session and your
musician list made me laugh out loud :-) thanks....compelled to eat strange
fruit will stay with me for a while. I saw you were on Facebook and thought
you might enjoy checking out a group I've recently picked up the reigns of
'Funky Tribe'....hey join us, if you feel the urge.

Happy Wednesday
Kerry

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

every time you blaspheme led zeppelin, god kills a kitten.

otherwise, spot on.

viva paul baby.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Paul Altobelli

Paul Altobelli is a veteran Internet, marketing and technology professional with considerable expertise in search engine marketing, web site development, design, implementation and project management. [more]

Flickr Photos