Wednesday, August 17, 2005, 11:57 AM // 3 comments

A Note to Self: My Dad - Don Altobell

Don Altobell
For the last few weeks my father, Don Altobell, has been very ill. Dad has been fighting Multiple Sclerosis for 45 years and, sadly, the disease is now beginning to win. His doctor's told me that they've basically run out of tricks in their bags. So, dad is home, resting comfortably and - as we all are - waiting for the inevitable. It's a strange feeling knowing that someone you love is going to die.

On one hand, I want to have my father with me as long as possible so that we can do what we've always done - talk in great lengths about everything and anything. My father and I never played catch or went camping together. What we did do together, however, was talk about boxing, girls, God, baseball, movies, music (opera, Frank Sinatra), and everything in between.

On the other hand, however, I want my father to go to heaven to be with God, his parents, and his friends that have passed in the last few years. I don't want to see my father in his present condition anymore. I will not use this forum to describe his present state so let's just say it's a condition you or I would want to live.

But in the end does it really matter what I want? It all comes down to my father and his incredible will to survive and fight to stay alive no matter what his condition may be. Although, he may be incredibly weak and unable to move most of his body he is the strongest man I know. And perhaps that is why he's fighting to stay to stay alive so that he may be an inspiration to us all.

For more information about Multiple Sclerosis please visit: The the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (MSAA) Thirty-five years ago Dad was one of MSAA’s first volunteers.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's what it's all about...Sid Greenstreet...i'll never forget our endless games of "initials" when we were kids and whenever the initials S-G came up, your dad would never fail to say -- Sid Greenstreet...i still don't know who he is...today i'm a Sinatra lover because of this man...surely a man we can all learn from....

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was an actor who was generally known as Sidney Greenstreet.
Wish I knew your name 'cause Don use to mention someone he played initials with as a child. The past, even his childhood was very important to Don.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very nice, Paul. Extremely well written. Your dad would be proud as I am proud of you. A good selection of photos, too.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Paul Altobelli

Paul Altobelli is a veteran Internet, marketing and technology professional with considerable expertise in search engine marketing, web site development, design, implementation and project management. [more]

Flickr Photos