Thursday, July 28, 2005, 11:59 AM // 0 comments

Public Enemy featuring Stephen Stills


You know what I love about music? Just when you think you've heard it all -- a song comes your way that blows you away. As with many bands and artists I tend to lock into a few albums and ignor the rest. Well, for me the same can be said about Public Enemy. I. like most PE fans, fell in love with It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Fear of a Black Planet, and Apocalypse 91...The Enemy Strikes Black. Their follow up to these three albums was the critically dissed Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age. I love that album too. Sadly, I never listend to any other PE songs/albums other than the aforementioned. That was until yesterday.

I'm standing in a deli with my daughter, Rachel, and I hear the great Buffalo Springfield song "For What It's Worth." I thought to myself that this is a timeless song that everyone can sing too. Later that day I come home and I'm checking out my latest stats on AudioScrobbler. Audioscrobbler builds a profile of your musical taste using a plugin for your media player (Winamp, iTunes, XMMS etc..). Plugins send the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler server, which updates your musical profile with the new song. Every person with a plugin has their own page on this site which shows their listening statistics. The system automatically matches you to people with a similar music taste, and generates personalised recommendations. I decided to click on the link to the Public Enemy stats. There I notice that the song "He Got Game" is one of the more listened to PE songs (number three). Since I never heard the song before I decided to check it out. Guess what? The song samples the Buffalo Springfield song "For What It's Worth!" Moreover, Stephen Stills is featured at the end. Coincidence? I don't know. What I do know is "He Got Game" is a great song.

Check it out:
Public Enemy - He Got Game (featuring Stephen Stills)
Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Labels:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Paul Altobelli

Paul Altobelli is a veteran Internet, marketing and technology professional with considerable expertise in search engine marketing, web site development, design, implementation and project management. [more]

Flickr Photos