Friday, September 09, 2005, 10:27 PM // 2 comments

Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang!


Today I listened to the latest Rolling Stones release - A Bigger Bang!. Listening to this album is like hearing When the Whip Comes Down 16 times. Now, that is not necessarily a bad thing especially if you like that song - which I do. Two songs - "Oh No, Not You Again" and "Rough Justice" - are two notable standouts. They're ooooozing of Rolliing Stones passion, attitude, and soul. Really good songs. And when it is all said and done the album is not that bad. Its the best album they've done since 1986's Dirty Work. But is it an album I'll listen to a year from now let alone ten? Probably not. A Bigger Bang! is not that memorable.

As I listened to A Bigger Bang I thought about my favorite Rolling Stones albums. Stones albums that I've listened to recently - Stones albums I've been listening to for 25 years. My top five Stones albums are albums every music fan should own. They're perfect examples of why the Stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

My Top Five Rolling Stones Albums - in chronological order:

  1. 1968 - Beggars BanquetBeggars Banquet - This album features "Street Fighting Man," "Stray Cat Blues" and my favorite Stones song of all time - "Sympathy For the Devil." For me this is the first real Stones album. They said, "...we're doing our own thing now - who cares about singles. We're making an album."


  2. 1969 - Let It BleedLet It Bleed - "You Can't Always Get What You Want," "Gimme Shelter", the title track, and my personal favorite, "Monkey Man." This album also featured two county flavored songs, "Country Tonk" and Keith's "You Got the Silver."


  3. 1969 - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! - The Stones were the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World the night they recorded this album way back in November 1969. I learned to play air guitar to album.


  4. 1971 - Sticky FingersSticky Fingers - "Bitch," "Brown Sugar," "Sway," "Dead Flowers," and epic "Can't You Hear Me Knockin." All that great music plus a working zipper on the cover - what more could you ask for?


  5. 1972 - Exile on Main StreetExile on Main Street - Simply, a masterpiece. This album has it all - blues, boogie, gospel, and country. The Stones mixed it up and produced one of the most satisfying rock and roll albums ever.

Labels:


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not a big stones fan...i prefer abba... or juice newton...

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Stones picks are all wrong!!!

Here are my Top Five: in no particular order...

Some Girls
Tattoo You
Bridges to Babylon
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers

And somewhere in there, is Undercover... Honorable
mention.

I know the most HORRIBLE one in there, from your view
is Bridges, but we've been over that, haven't we?
They may not be the greatest Stones albums ever, but
they're my faves, okay!?!?

If I could just get you to listen to Zevon...

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Paul Altobelli

Paul Altobelli is a veteran Internet, marketing and technology professional with considerable expertise in search engine marketing, web site development, design, implementation and project management. [more]

Flickr Photos