Sunday, November 30, 2008, 3:05 PM // 1 comments

Top Five Records: Male Singers

Last week I posted my top 10 Female singers. Here's my follow up post - my top 10 Male singers in no particular order:

Ella FitzgeraldFreddie Mecury: Queen – Mustapha

Freddie Mercury the first name that came to my mind when I thought about this list.  His vocal range was amazing - from soft ballads to full out rockers.  Not only is he one of rock's greatest vocalists but he may be the best showman to grace the rock and roll stage. Check out Freddie's performance at Live Aid


Robert Plant: Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song

In my opinion, if Led Zeppelin had only recorded Zep I and Zep II they'd still be considered one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time. As much as I enjoy the songs, music, Jimmy Page's guitar, I believe what really made those albums was Robert Plant's vocals.  Talk about power, conviction, attitude, and sex appeal.  And dig this, he was only 21 years old when Led Zeppelin recorded those albums!  



Dave Grohl: Foo Fighters - The Pretender

What I love best about Dave Grohl was that he was able to crawl out of Nirvana's ashes into a great, respected rock band.  His tunes are full-out grab you by the balls rockers that represent every thing rock stands for - attitude, sex, and energy.  Grohl's vocals are the perfect compliment to his songs - raw and powerful.  Moreover, he may be the best screamer in rock since AC/DC's Bon Scott.


Eddie Vedder: Pearl Jam - Present Tense

Following in the footsteps of Roger Daltrey, Eddie Vedder sings in a way that grabs you by the throat and forces you to listen and feel the music in a way that will leave you breathless.  


Ray Davies: Kinks - Apeman

Ray Davies does not have a great voice but there is something about his vocal style that gives his music life, personality, and English class.  God bless The Kinks.


Jeff Tweedy: Wilco - Red-Eyed and Blue

Like Ray Davies, Jeff Tweedy is not a great singer.  Some may even find his voice weak. But I feel his voice adds a realism to his music that I completely identify with.  He and I are about the same age and what he sings about represents life experiences I can relate too.  I don't know if I'd feel the same way about his music if he belted out songs like some of the others on this list.


Paul Rogers: Bad Company - Silver, Blue and Gold

Interesting to note that Freddie Mercury was the first singer I considered for this list and Paul Rogers was my number two choice. Isn't it ironic that Paul Rogers is singing with Queen now?  Paul Rogers has that power and energy that every rock and roll singer should aspire to be.  Coinincidence?  I don't know.  Rogers, along with Mercury, Robert Plant, and Roger Daltrey are the Mount Rushmore of rock singers.



Roger Daltrey: THE WHO - Bargain (live)

Roger Daltrey defined the quintessential rock and roll signer - young, hung and full of cum.  But Daltrey was more than that. Through his singing he added a new dimension to Pete Townshend's lyrics. "I Can't Explain" worked because Daltrey conveys anger, frustration, and bewilderment. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" worked because Daltrey expresses Mod arrogance that can resort to violence.


Van Morrison - Caravan

I first fell in love with Van Morrison's singing the first time I heard "Caravan." Even today, I still find myself singing along with this song in a way that always puts a smile on my face. For this reason and Morrison's blue-eyed soul approach to his music is why he's on my list.


Prince - How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore?Prince - How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore?

With his high falsettos to a dig-deep-down-low soul register - Prince is a great rock and roll singer.  With all his songs he sings with a arrogantly self-confident style that screams you better listen because this is important and I'm only going to tell you once.

Labels:


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Freddie Mercury and Ray Davies would be on my list too! Very different styles but equally awesome.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Paul Altobelli

Paul Altobelli is a veteran Internet, marketing and technology professional with considerable expertise in search engine marketing, web site development, design, implementation and project management. [more]

Flickr Photos