Wednesday, March 29, 2006, 4:35 PM // 3 comments

"Hey, where the white women at?"

Today, my mother reminded me of a line from Blazing Saddles:

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Taggart: God darnit Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.
Just typing Blazing Saddles makes me laugh. It's my all-time favorite comedy. I'll take this movie over any Marx Brothers move including Duck Soup. The actors, the direction, the writing, the satire, the jokes--Blazing Saddles is about as perfect as perfect can be.

Hedley Lamarr - www.paulaltobelli.comInterestingly enough, given that we live in a politically correct society, Blazing Saddles would never see the light of day if it was pitched to a movie executive. Case it point: ALL RIGHT! WE'LL GIVE SOME LAND TO THE NIGGERS AND THE CHINKS -- BUT WE DON'T WANT THE IRISH!

Thanks Mom for reminding me about this movie today. It put a smile on my face. And thank you for taking Stephen, my good friend Steve Murray, and me to the Tacony-Palmyra Drive-In so many years ago to watch this classic for the first time.

Click here for more Blazing Saddles quotes.

Labels: , ,

Blink It

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, for thanking me for taking you to see BS all those many years ago.
I read the other quotes. There were so many funny ones. And they only seem to get better with age. It is fun to mouth the words as they are coming out of the actors' and then laughing before the sentence is even said.
On a more poignant note, it is sad that Cliveden Little never realized his potential. But he did leave behind a true classic.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw the quote and photo I remembered that night. It was my first drive-in -- Thanks Mrs V. -- I often find myself quoting this movie. Especially to my children after a fun filled night of bean eating...

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember it well. A triple feature of "Oh, God", "Blazing Saddles" and "Magnum Force". We were late for the first (which we had seen before) and left during the opening credits for the last. I sat in the front seat passenger side and never laughed so hard in my life. It didn't matter that I didn't get half jokes; there were so many I laughed non-stop anyway. And I remember my mother laughing at a bunch we didn't get, too. One of the greatest film-going experiences of my life. Now, Paul, write about the all-weekend comedy film festival and how you screwed up the Marx Bros. trivia question!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Paul Altobelli

Paul Altobelli is a veteran Internet, marketing and technology professional with considerable expertise in search engine marketing, web site development, design, implementation and project management. [more]

Flickr Photos