Thursday, October 09, 2008, 6:10 PM // 2 comments

Top Five Records: Live Albums

  1. Get Yer Ya Ya's Out – Rolling Stones

    The Stones really were the "greatest rock and roll band in world" that 1969 Thanksgiving weekend of concerts. "Ahh New York City you talk a lot. Let's have a look at ya."


  2. Live at Leeds – THE WHO

    This was a "metal" album before there was metal. I actually prefer the original release over the expanded "complete" concert 1996 and 2001 cleaned-up re-releases. The original 1970 release is dirtier.



  3. At Budokan – Cheap Trick

    I, like so many kids at the time, discovered Cheap Trick with this album. I'll take the many of the live versions of these songs over the studio recordings particularly "I Need Your Love."




  4. Live at the Apollo – James Brown

    Some call this the greatest live recording of all time. In fact, the Library of Congress added it to the National Recording Registry. Clocking in at just over 31 minutes in length - Live at the Apollo should only be listened to in its entirety.




  5. Live at the Regal – BB King

    Not only is this a great live album but Live at the Regal widely heralded as one of the greatest blues albums ever recorded and is #141 on Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.


Labels:


2 Comments:

Blogger weave said...

I can do 3 myself:

1. Woodstock - I would listen to that thing over and over back in the day - highlights for me were CSN & Sometimes Y, Hendrix, Ten Years After, The Who, Santana... it is such an awesome event. Woodstock II I never really did get into - The Melanie set just made me loose my wood(stock).

2. Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps - I remember seeing that flick at the midnight movies and then going home and noodling till I figured out "Hey Hey My My". I got the album from the used shit store in the Pensauken Mart and had a field day.

3. The Beatles rooftop concert. I don't think this was actually released, but I have heard it, and I enjoyed it VERY MUCH.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An album that leaps to mind is one of my favorites from back it the day - "Miles of Aisles" by Joni Mitchell. It released when I was in high school and was going through a "poetic" period. I was pretty much in love with Joni.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Paul Altobelli

Paul Altobelli is a veteran Internet, marketing and technology professional with considerable expertise in search engine marketing, web site development, design, implementation and project management. [more]

Flickr Photos